City Girl In the Jungle

Now this is my first post on the first ever blog I have ever created in my entire life. Its scary I must say. As now I am putting myself out there as a writer.

Not being certified by school certification, an established author or anything that people use these days to put their talents on a pedestal. But I, Nomathamsanqa Zinhle Mathembisa, am putting myself into the universe as a writer.

Over the years I would write, I was a writer, but I was what most would call a closet writer. I would write journal entries, 'articles' on topics that I would find interesting (I put articles in inverted commas because they were really just high school writing-skilled essays) and I would applaud myself on what a fantastic job I have done. Oh and boy they were not that great, I think a part of me knew this, hence I didn't share my love, passion and great skill that resided in me with the world.

Now I know I may sound a little contradictory when I glorify my gift from a young age but I still call it ,if you would like to put a definition on it: "immature". That is because it was and it still is.

 I am currently working as a Copywriter and Social Media Manager at a children's camp. Now I only found out last year what copywriters do, let alone a social media manager.
It sounds pretty self-explanatory you may say, the social media management part, but won't you be taken aback once you're behind six social media platforms with three new social media mediums being created every other day, whoooo the stress of having to keep up.

In the first week of this job, I had had a conversation with my best friend as to how much this would be a challenge for me because besides its already intense metrics and strategies, I generally was not a social media person, yes I would do the occasional instagram post here and there and of course I was on whatsapp (everyone is on whatsapp) but it was busting my ass man! lol. I have learnt to cope with life on the net in the sense I understand social media relationships from business to client, client to business, business to business etc. you get what I mean, and I am so grateful for the opportunity to expand my mind and skills into new platforms of writing.

Now as for copywriting, this felt more like my forte, this felt like home. I was home.
Now besides me literally being in the jungle( the camp site I am working at is in the secluded parts of Zinkwazi, which is just North of Durban) I feel like I am a Writer in the Jungle.

When you write and put your work out for the universe to receive it (or anything for that matter), they could ravage it, chew it up and spit it out, cause ya'll know its a jungle out there.

But the beauty lies in finally finding your niche, and working everyday to better it, nuture it, love it and just making sure its elevated in every sense of its being.

Comments

Popular Posts