Roots

I'm deeply rooted in Johannesburg. I grew up in Mofolo North, Soweto and a huge part of my character is stemmed from my township upbringing. I know alot of you who know me personally are tilting your heads to the side and saying "Really?Wena? Township?", because I have been told on multiple occasions that I don't look, have the feel or speak like someone from the hood.

I ain't no snob man. I have my hood niggas I hang with. I drink Black Label at the corner of the street I grew up in. I smoke weed with the girls that braid my hair. I participate on spring day when we get buckets of water and getting wet is the order of the day. Like yo, I'm in this shit. Featured On <a href='https://capetowninsider.co.za/things-to-do/' title='Blog'>CTInsider</a>


But at the same time, I am a city girl. I go to museums, I enjoy restaurant vibes, I like media events and listening or looking at really dope stuff. And what better place than Johannesburg to have all that in close proximity? Like all it takes is pointing one finger in the air to shift in realities. Wow, such beauty in this.

So as much as I would love to carry on painting a picture on how much I love my city, that's not the point of this post.

I have been in Durban for a while now and I thought the homesickness would get better (because trust, it got heavy at some point). So I tried to dissect exactly what exactly am I missing, because I can't be carrying around "oh I can't wait to go home" stigma you know, like people would just be annoyed that this grown ass woman can't settle into a new phase in her life.

And that's the thing, I'm happy with my job, I'm happy with where I stay, the new people I have met are pretty cool peeps; what is the problem?

It's the uproot of it all. Relocating for your job is intense. You are packing up your whole life to go live in a foreign environment outside of your comfort zone.

From figuring out roads and transport, to spending all your time with people you just met, it's such a blow.

I'm not necessarily missing my friends or my family (no, I miss you guys, don't worry) but I'm missing my city. From my niggas asking me if I'm going to town at the fourway intersection so they can get me a taxi, to hanging out with friends at a bar after work, to braiding my hair in a shack while I get told who is messing with whom. To a feeling a vibe in the air on a Saturday afternoon, the list is endless.

All I can really say is I miss you. I miss my city.

 

Comments

Popular Posts