Grey areas

Oh my, where do I begin. I've dated black men my whole life, despite the occasional Caucasian throwing banter here and there, I strictly date black men.

A (white) colleague of mine stated that I was borderline racist with my past romantic liaisons. Lol, I actually laughed in his face, partly because I was questioning myself and buying time to concoct a power response. Unfortunately, I kept quiet because I had no comeback, and I was caught up in the possibility that I might be what they have dubbed 'sexually racist' . Now, this is not something that has ever crossed my mind, let alone me actually being it.

Anyway, I had an encounter where I found myself receiving some low-key smooth-talk from a white colleague. Well, I just thought he was being friendly, as I think when any white man gives me any attention of that sort (first misconception) and he was just being extra.

This was 4 months ago. A few weeks back I planned a get- together with some colleagues. I cooked, had a set-up; the whole shebang. I didn't invite this particular (white) guy because...... you know what I am going to be brutally honest, I didn't think he would enjoy the vibe. Now that I am typing this and saying it out-loud in my head, I do see what that (white) guy meant in labelling me 'borderline racist'.

Back to the dinner. So mister arrives unexpectedly (circumstantial shit really) and I'm like "alright then, this is cool" not really listening to his actions. We had a good night as a group and him and I separately. In the mist of our one on one conversations, he revealed how he had been on a quest to get my attention the "minute he saw me."

Now, not to go any further on the events of the night, I was taken aback by this (white) man and his announcements. The casualness in his approach was somewhat refreshing, not to generalize, but black men have a generic shelering game and a girl usually knows what's next.

With this whole experience, I realized as human beings we have soooo many thought up ideologies that we live by that hinder us from living a bigger, broader, adventure-filled, out-of-this-world life. I mean I am not racist, but I subconsciously had no place in my mind and heart to ever be with a white man.

Then the big epiphany: why was I so focused on the skin colour of the man who would potentially love me, care for me, whisper sweet-nothings in my ear, give me career advice and adhere to my sexual desires? Well, it's simple; we've been conditioned, but that's another blog post on its own.

Hahahahaha, I've been rambling, anyway, to conclude, this blog post was on my encounter with a piece of interracial romantic liaisons, but the deeper idea is to not limit yourself to what you think you know. Life is too full of wonder and beauty to live it everyday with 'what you know'.






Comments

Post a Comment

Popular Posts